December 01, 2010

Scones

These are souft, doughy scones, not dry crumbly scones.

3 cups flour (can use 1/2 flour & 1/2 spelt)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (large grain sugar)

Sift together in a large bowl.

In a large measuring glass, add

1/3 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 cups non dairy milk (you can use dairy if you want)
1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 orange
fresh ginger
3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
more turbinado surgar

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ones in.  Slowly mix the dough just until it comes together.  At this point I separateed 1/2 the dough into separate bowls.  In one bowl I added 1 inch of freshly grated ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of dried ginger and about 3/4 cup dark chocolate and mixed only until incorporated.  In the other bowl I added the zest of one orange, the juice of the orange and 3/4 cup dried cranberries.

Spray ice cream scoop with non stick spray and scoop out one level scoop onto greased cookie sheet.  I used silpat so there was no need for additional grease.  Sprinkle with extra sugar.  Bake 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. 

Should make 16 scones. 
Calories:  163
Fat calories: 26; 3 grams fat
Carbs:  30 grams
Fiber:  2 grams
Protein: 4 grams
_________________________________

If I had to do this over, I'd just make a batch of each instead of trying to manipulate 1/2 the dough.  I don't think that all the spices got mixed in well and I didn't want to overmix and make them tough.  I think you could add all kinds of combinations and have great scones.

I also think that you could cut the sugar to 1/3 cup without altering the outcome much.  I think next time I'm going to make smaller scones so that the recipe yeilds 32.  Sometimes they're big and a little more than what I want to eat. 

No comments: