October 09, 2009

German Dinner

1 1/2 lbs new red potatoes, quartered
1 kilbasa, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 large can saurkraut

Put the potatoes in the bottom of a crock pot. Season well with salt, pepper and some red pepper flakes. Add the kilbasa over the top. Then spread out the can of saurkraut on top, juices and everything. Season well again with salt & plenty of pepper. Cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4.

As a kid, my mom would make this with porkchops and bake it in the oven for an hour or so. I didn't like it as much because unless you cook it correctly, the porkchops ended up tough and chewy. So when she'd made it, my Dad and I would eat something else.

When I met Pete, he introduced me to German food again and I remembed my Mom making this. So I tried it. We still make it with porkchops occasionaly, but when we do, we make sure that there is enough juice that the pork is covered. Usually though we make it with kilbasa or better yet, brats.

No comments: